Whenever you have any kind of shape that needs to be punched out of any tough material, you need a high quality punch to get the job done. Making cuts by measuring, marking, and scoring takes a very long time, which means that your labor costs go up drastically. However, a high quality punch cuts down on your labor costs by making it easy to punch out shapes in just one step.
One of the best types of punches to have is a dovetail punch. Purchasing this type of punch tool may be a bit difficult because the dovetail is a rather difficult shape to cut. However, measuring each of the cuts and then doing it by hand simply takes too long. Dovetail punches enable you to make joints that interlock securely, truly sealing them tightly. A good quality punch should be able to work with many different gaskets, no matter what flange width you need. Here’s what to look for in a quality dovetail punch:
- An open-view design – This gives you an open line of vision the entire time you are making the cut so that you don’t have to guess.
- Sizes should match up to industry standards. – Any set of dovetail punches should offer sizes that meet industry standards according to the leading manufacturers of gaskets. If the punches are in odd sizes, they won’t be of much help to you. Consider purchasing a set of three punches with a range of ¾ of an inch up to three inches.
- Made of heavy gauge, high alloy steel – This is a very rugged material that will last a long time. Also make sure that it’s heat treated, which further adds to the durability.
- Material-saving design – Also be sure to look for punches that will help you reduce the amount of waste material you have after each punch. Gasket materials are extremely expensive, so you need to do everything you can to cut these costs.
Another type of punch that is very important in most industrial places is a standard hole punch, which even enables you to make your own washers. The Spearhead 130 Power Punch Maxiset is a great choice because it comes with 13 different punches and a number of accessories. It allows you to make holes that are anywhere from a quarter of an inch up to one inch in diameter. For a high quality hole punch, look for a tool that’s made of heavy gauge, high alloy steel and also that offers industry standard sizes.
Arch punches are also very common in the industrial world. Here are some things to look for with arch punches:
- A smooth structure with a fine cutting edge – Many brands of arch punches take the force you exert using a hammer and send it through two corners, which means that the punch will not last you very long. Instead look for a smooth path from the top all the way to both tips.
- A shape that clears punchings automatically – Not every brand on the market will do this. If you follow the first tip, this tip will usually be met as well.
- Made in one piece – Fabricated punches that are made of two pieces will not last very long because any joint creates a place for wear and tear to happen each time you use it. One-piece arch punches are nearly indestructible.
- Drop-forged construction – Proper construction will align the molecular structure of the material that’s being worked, thus further smoothing the flow of the impact and creating a better punch.
Blaylock Gasket carries the highest quality punches on the market. Their experts will also be able to help you buy the right punch set for your business or project.