When you are trying to choose any kind of gasket, you just can’t be too careful during the selection process, and this is even truer when you are looking at flame resistant gaskets. The whole point is to find a material that can stand up to flames, which is very hard to do, especially when you also want that material to be able to compress and fill in all of the tiny gaps caused by the connection of two components. So how do you go about choosing gaskets that are flame resistant? Here are some tips:
- Start by looking at specialized or high temperature gaskets. All gaskets contain filler material and facing materials, so you should be looking at the specs of both of these materials when trying to find out if a particular gasket can withstand flames.
- Since fires are fed by oxygen, you may want to find a gasket that is able to inhibit oxidation very well. This means that the gasket will actually limit the amount of oxygen that gets to the flames so those flames won’t burn quite as hot as they would otherwise.
- Consider whether you are dealing with hot gases in addition to the flames. It is very common to do so because if something is burning, there is carbon or some other gas that is being given off. This is why gaskets must also be made to withstand various gases at very high temperatures.
- Read the temperature range on the material the gasket is made from. There are numerous different kinds of materials used to make gaskets these days, and this is because each one of those materials brings some feature to the table that makes them beneficial to a particular task. Being able to withstand gases at very high temperatures is an important feature for flame resistant gaskets.
- Ceramic fiber might be a good material if you need one that provides low pressure and also resistance to hot gases. Ceramic fiber can stand up against temperatures of up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which is even higher than the temperatures other materials can withstand.
- Some varieties of fabric over foam gaskets also come in flame resistant versions and non-flame resistant versions. This means that you should read the package carefully and make sure that you end up with a flame resistant model if that is what you need.
There are numerous uses for flame resistant gaskets, although one of the most common ones is for grounding or shielding of the seams on telecommunications or computer equipment.
It is important to realize that there is a wide variety of materials and specs to choose from when it comes to finding a gasket that is flame resistant. It is always worth your time to find an expert and ask about your specific application. You just can’t be too careful when you are dealing with the possibility of fire. The seal has got to hold tightly if it is going to keep everyone safe.
Also keep in mind that many gaskets are cut specifically for the job at hand. This means that you might not go down to the store and buy one that is already made. You may have to send in the specs for the particular gasket you need and then have someone cut it by hand so that it will work perfectly for the use you need it for.
Let the experts at Blaylock Gasket help you find the right flame resistant gaskets for your job; they will help you determine which material is right for the project you are working on.